Accepting assignment submissions in Canvas means returning electronic feedback. But on lengthy papers, math, and other visual assignments, typing up feedback in comments can be awkward as well as tedious.
You're faced with a dilemma: You want your students to submit their assignments through Canvas – but, when it comes to feedback, you prefer pen and paper over keyboard and monitor.
Chris Foley, associate vice president and director of online education, hit upon a happy solution. A pen-on-paper experience is possible with a tablet and stylus, like an Apple Pencil or Android-compatible stylus.
Perhaps you have an unused stylus lying around the house already. In that case, get started now with these simple steps:
- Open the Canvas Teacher App on your device.
- Tap the To-Do button at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the assignment you wish to grade from the list.
Note: To-Do lists all assignments across all of your courses.
- (Optional) Rotate your tablet, so it's in portrait mode for optimal viewing.
- Tap the stylus button and select your stylus from the list.
Note: If you are not using a "smart" stylus, choose None.
- Tap the paintbrush icon and write on the assignment as you normally would
- (Optional) Tap the Ink icon to change the color and line thickness of your annotations.
Need help? IU's teaching and learning centers and the Support Center are on hand to assist you.